Silvia Barbescu was born in Bucharest, Rumania, in 1961.
She now lives and works in Mexico City, in her multidisciplinary artistic expression: painting, printing, ceramics and enamel.
- 1980-1985: Bucharest Academy of Art. She graduates in Visual Arts (Mural Art and Restoration).
- 2001-2003: Doctor in Visual Arts, San Carlos Academy (UNAM), Mexico City, in her thesis ¨Intaglio Etching on Porcelain and Paper¨.
With 10 years in Mexico, she has had over 20 One-Man exhibitions and many more ¨Collective¨ ones in Mexico and abroad: Germany, Holland, Israel, Spain and Rumania.
Winner of several Prizes, Honourable Mentions, Artist Residencies (Poland, Bulgaria, Holland) and Scholarships:
- Mexican Foreign Office, 2000 – 2001, and 2001 – 2003 for a Mastership in Visual Arts at the San Carlos Academy (UNAM), Mexico City.
- 2005: ¨Art Everywhere¨ from Mexico City Institute of Art.
- In 2006: First Prize at the Diego Rivera´s XII Biennale ¨Drawing and Printing¨ (Acquisition by the State)
- 2003: she published a thesis of her work in the magazine Mexico on Walls, issue 16. She has also contributed in various newspapers and magazines with articles and photographs of her own work.
2005: she founded her own Studio – Gallery ¨Intaglio Atelier: Contemporary Printing¨, which is a space dedicated to production, diffusion and teaching of the various artistic disciplines she masters, such as etching, enamel, ceramics and porcelain.
In February 2008, she finishes her first monumental Mural of 240 m2, made in enamel with porcelain look finish for the Regional Tlaxomulco Hospital, State of México.
She now teaches at the prestigious Esmeralda School of Art, Mexico City.